|Photo by M. Jost|
Aim: The L and W forms are a practical life exercise for large and small motor movement and sequencing of steps. They are also the concrete experience for the Geography curriculum, 3-6 and 6-9.
Age: You can introduce the L & W forms as young as 2 1/2 as a Practical Life pouring exercise, however I recommend doing this OUTSIDE in the late spring or early summer months when the weather is warm... The L & W form CARDS are given at a later date as a matching work to the L & W forms. The names of the L & W forms can be taught giving a Three Period Lesson (ideally with the forms, the pans). But you can teach the names using the L & W form cards. At age three to three and a half children can do the L & W form cards alone without the pans, matching them including the labels.
Tip: the cards and forms need to match! If you buy the cards, don't get the photos, and don't buy L & W form cards with green land if your L & W forms have brown as the land!
- My tips on How to make land and water forms
- Everything you wanted to know about making L & W forms at Living Montessori Now blog.
- $$ I found plastic ones at Kidadvance (in two sets--which makes it more affordable if you buy one set at a time).
Tip: Get three-part cards! Make sure they will match your L & W forms.
- Free downloads at Montessori Mom blog.
- $ Montessori-Print-Shop.
- $ Land and Water Form Cards from montessoriforeveryone.
- $ from Kidadvance in card-stock, or $$ in wood.
- Try also Montessori Outlet.
1) "Land Form Boxes," plus "Variations and Parallel Activities" including making vocabulary cards to go with the boxes, from Montessori on a Limited Budget on pages 183-184.
2) "Land and Water" activities including forms, globe, and pictures from David Gettman's Basic Montessori on page 188-190.
3) "Making land models" from Teach Me To Do It Myself on page 158-159 (with a sidebar of other activities to try).
The land and water forms are always a favorite activity in the classroom, and the concrete experience for further study and understanding of geography including the globes,world puzzle map, and the continent maps.
Like and follow Montessori on a Budget on Facebook! Join our Facebook community of over 12,000 members! Subscribe to our email list!
You might also like:
A-Z GEOGRAPHY PACKS FOR ALL 7 CONTINENTS! Contains over 450 pages of printable materials! Learn more here, at Trillium Montessori!