Here is an outline from my 6 to 9 Montessori training manual, "History of Creation Experiments Outline":
First you need to do some experiments with the children to spark their imaginations before going on to present the history of creation (first story in the Great Lessons): "Cosmic Tale: God Who Has No Hands." These experiments are key experiences. An atmosphere of magic and mystery is recommended!
The experiments (outlined below) should begin in the fall with #1 Cold--freezing, and continue throughout the year. The tales are usually told in early spring, followed by the Timeline of Life.
The Physics Experiments Outline:
2. The formation of the star
3. Solid, liquid, gas
4. Liquid, viscous
5. Passing from solid to liquid to gas
6. Passing from gas to liquid to solid
7. Particles which love each other and ~ which don’t
9. Chemical combination of gas
11. Chemical reaction
13. Properties of solids, liquid, and gas
14. Elastic, plastic, rigid
15. Matter changes at different temperatures
16. Law of gravity
17. Rapidity of cooling and mass of bodies
19. Matter expands when it is heated
20. Quick evaporation
- Google images
- Montessori Teacher Training blog: Montessori and Imagination...
- Gray Family Circus blog: Great Lessons Resources
- Jennifer Morgan "the cosmic bard" storyteller
- Montessori Mom blog: Cosmic Education...
Children of the Universe: Cosmic Education in the Montessori Elementary Classroom